Natural Capital Investment Conference
The Royal Society, London, 28th February 2019
9:30 am to 5.00 pm, followed by a drinks reception. Registration opens 8:40 am.
Want to know more about the conference? Visit our event homepage.
Session 1. 9:30 am. In plenary.
Natural capital investment - the opportunity
Chaired by Karen Ellis (Director of Sustainable Economy, WWF-UK)
Keynote: insight from impact investment around the world
- Jennifer Pryce (CEO, Calvert Impact Capital)
Keynote: risk management and natural capital investment
- Rowan Douglas (Head of Capital, Science & Policy Practice, Willis Towers Watson)
What investors require to invest in the UK environment
- Panel discussion including Andrew Mitchell (Co-Founder of the Natural Capital Finance Alliance), Emma Howard Boyd (Chair of the Environment Agency), Jamie Mansfield (Co-founder and Managing Director, Environmental Finance Ltd.) and Dr. Jim Totty (Managing Partner, Earth Capital)
- 11:00 to 11:40 am - Refreshments
Session 2. 11:40 am Parallel sessions.
Catalysing natural capital investment in specific settings
Investment in the rural environment
- Chaired by Mark Bridgeman (Deputy President of the CLA)
Presentation: Managing natural capital on rural land: financing opportunities and challenges. Charles Russ (Principal Environmental Consultant, AECOM)
Panel discussion to include Andrew Griffiths (Head of Sustainability at Nestlé UK), Henry Wilkes (Founder of InvestAg), Catherine Gresty (Defra) and Mike Image (ADAS)
Investment in coastal and marine habitat
- Chairperson: Terence Jagger (Board Member of the Marine Management Organisation)
- Presentation: Investing in the Marine and Coastal environment. Jamie Mansfield (Co-founder and Director of Environmental Finance Ltd.)
- Panel discussion to include Toby Roxburgh (WWF UK), Jennifer Pryce (Calvert Impact Capital), Simon Dent (Mirova Natural Capital) and Gwyn Williams (RSPB)
12:45 - Lunch & exhibitor displays
Session 3. 1:40 pm Two rounds of 40 minute-long seminars (delegates choose one from each).
Market frameworks and front-runners
Round 1 - Market frameworks
Starting 1.40 pm See our listing of afternoon seminars for further details.
Investment for community scale resilience and natural capital (with Bruce Davis, Abundance Investment)
- An overview of the standards, metrics and verification landscape for natural capital investment (with Stephanie Hime of Little Blue Research, Maria del Felippo of Affirmative Investment Management and Katie House of the Climate Bonds Initiative. Chaired by Marie-Justine Labelle of PwC.)
Natural flood management and the insurance industry (with Angus Middleton of Viridian Logic, Andy Bord of Flood Re, Gary Heuting of Co-operative Insurance and Katherine Owens of United Utilities.)
Round 2 - Front-runners in the project pipeline
Starting 2.30 pm See our listing of afternoon seminars for further details.
- Greater Manchester (with Krista Patrick of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority. Commentator: Emma Howard Boyd, Environment Agency. Chaired by Ian Dickie of eftec.)
UK Peatland – An Impact Investment Opportunity (with Clifton Bain, Director of the IUCN Peatland Programme. Commentator: Jennifer Pryce, Calvert Impact Capital.)
- The role of carbon finance in helping unlock UK woodland creation projects (with George Hepburn-Scott of Forest Carbon Ltd. & Chaired by Jonathan Shopley of Natural Capital Partners)
Session 4. In plenary. Starting 3.50 pm
London launch of The £1 Billion Challenge, the Scottish Conservation Finance Project.
Presented by Jo Pike of Scottish Wildlife Trust and partners
Scotland was among the first nations to pledge support for the Sustainable Development Goals and has been at the forefront of a number of pioneering environmental initiatives, including the World Forum on Natural Capital. The Scottish Conservation Finance Project is a brand new initiative bringing together leaders from finance, government, business and civil society to deliver the £1 Billion Challenge. The challenge aims to bring a wide range of social, environmental and economic benefits to Scotland while generating returns for investors. The Natural Capital Investment Conference is serving as the London launch for this project and this seminar will provide an opportunity to hear how the £1 Billion Challenge is shaping up.
Next steps in catalysing natural capital investments
Charting the course for ensuring the UK is a leader in natural capital investment. Recommendations for financial services businesses, government, land owners, and other stewards of the UK's natural environment.
Chaired by Justin Mundy (Strategic Adviser to the Capital Science & Policy Practice at Willis Towers Watson)
- Opening remarks
- Panel discussion with Andrew Mitchell (Natural Capital Finance Alliance), Marie-Justine Labelle (Manager, Sustainability & Climate Change, PwC), Bruce Davis (Joint Managing Director, Abundance Investment), Emily Briggs (Deputy Director for Green Finance, Defra) and Nick Molho (Executive Director, Aldersgate Group)
- A chance to network with a unique mix of experts in finance and environment. Addressed by lead sponsor and Tony Juniper CBE (Executive Director for Advocacy and Campaigns, WWF UK)