HydroloGIS shows clients how to gain the greatest benefits from creating the right habitats in the right locations. This goes beyond the standard 'opportunity mapping', as the tool aims to maximise return on investment and prioritise actions into the future. The intention is to provide a simple, rapid and robust tool to scope out the best ways for clients to achieve their aims, helping them to create a costed proposal and constructively engage stakeholders. Potential applications include water quality and flood risk management, biodiversity compensation, climate change mitigation, landscape planning, infrastructure appraisal and natural capital accounting.
Original geographic scope:
- UK wide
- International (some local data restrictions apply)
Terrestrial, freshwater or marine focus?:
Specific ecosystem services modelled:
HydroloGIS produce biophysical numbers for many modelled services, which convert very well into financial valuation or other metrics.
- Erosion control
- Reduction of soil adsorbing pollutants
- Reduction of water soluble pollutants
- Reduction in air pollution
- Reduction in noise nuisance
- Reduction in heat island effect
- Flood mitigation
- Groundwater retention/baseflow control
- Carbon sequestration
- Primary production - using data provided or simple calculations; mainly for trade-off analysis with other services
- Proxy derived indices for health and wellbeing
Estimated working days to complete a project:
Viridian Logic: at least two days
Continuous improvements to models. Development will lead to creation of an online tool.
Technical support provided?:
Developer (organisation type):
Angus Middleton; Leon Baruah
Number of case studies outside the uk:
Examples of case studies outside of uk:
Montserrat, Anguilla and France.
Third party reviews / cross:
No published review papers found.