A one-day training course to help professionals working in the health system to scope, design and implement a green prescription scheme in their locality.
About green prescriptions
Local natural outdoor spaces close to where people live provide huge untapped opportunities for improving their health and wellbeing. The evidence for this is strong. Green prescriptions are a core aspect of social prescribing (referral of patients to local non-clinical services available in the community). Increasingly clinicians are referring patients to nature-based interventions for a variety of long-term conditions. There is emerging best practice in the UK, including the widely- acclaimed Branching Out programme involving NHS Scotland. Green prescriptions can form a core part of achieving sustainability in the health system. Many providers of outdoor spaces are seeking to collaborate with healthcare and public health organisations to deliver safe, cost-effective outcomes for patients.
Date and venue
7th June 2017, 10am - 4.30pm. Birmingham city centre (Austin Court B1 2NP)
What will it cover?
The course will cover:
- Models for commissioning
- Examples of best practice
- Identification and management of providers
- Pros and cons from the point of view of health outcomes.
- Integration into the plans of Local Authorities, NHS Trusts and sustainability plans.
Who is it aimed at?
The course is aimed at people working in core parts of the health system such as:
- Local authority public health and social care functions (including Health and Wellbeing Boards)
- GP surgeries and Clinical Commissioning Groups looking to innovate in care models.
- Social care providers.
- NHS Trusts keen to do more for promoting wellness and wellbeing.
Dr. Dan Bloomfield is an expert on nature-based solutions to local health priorities. With support from NERC he runs a project (www.adoseofnature.net) at the University of Exeter’s campuses in Penryn and Truro to increase the number of ‘green prescriptions’ provided by GPs to patients with long-term conditions. Dan also works as a psychotherapist in private practice.
Cost and booking
£165 before May 17th (early bird rate period extended), £195 after.
The course rate includes:
- Refreshments including lunch.
- Printed and on-line versions of course materials.
- CPD certificates.
To reserve your place: email email@example.com with a sentence about your job and where you work. We’ll send a booking link.